ASPEN HOUSE #8, 13549 Valerian, Black Butte Ranch, OR 97759
GENERAL INFORMATION FOR OUR GUESTS
(JUNE through OCTOBER)
We want you to have a great time at our cabin. Thank you for helping us care for it. We have tried to keep our requests to a minimum; your help in heeding them will increase your enjoyment and that of those who follow you. For more detailed information see the Owner’s Notes binder by the telephone in the cabin.
● Arrival time is anytime after 4 p.m. Departure time is noon. Check in at the Welcome Center, inside the front entry to the left.
● PLEASE, NO PETS AND NO SMOKING under any circumstances
● You are welcome to use the bikes in the bike storage shed on the front deck (opens with the house key). They are to be USED AT YOUR OWN RISK, because we have no way of checking their condition after each use. A few repair tools and a tube patch kit are in the bottom kitchen drawer next to the range. IMPORTANT: Oregon law requires bike riders 16 years and under to wear helmets; we urge adults also to wear them. Bring your own bike helmets or rent them at the Black Butte Glaze Meadow bike rental facility.
● You are welcome to make local phone calls from the house phone. Please do not make long distance phone calls unless they are collect or billed to another number. (Bend, Sisters, and Redmond are local calls).
● INTERNET. Wi-Fi is available in our cabin. The information you need to connect to the internet Wi-fi was sent to you with your registration materials. This information is also in the Owner’s Notes binder and in a note on the wall, both near the phone.
● PLEASE TREAT OUR CABIN GENTLY. We care about maintaining a comfortable and inviting place to stay and ask that you help us take care of our cabin as you would your own. If you need to do some cleaning during your stay, you will find cleaning supplies in the downstairs hall closet and an upright vacuum cleaner in one of the bedroom closets. Thanks!
● WE DO NOT HAVE TRASH PICK-UP so do not leave anything in the Trash can trash containers in the house. Take all trash to the trash/recycling center which is reached by the Fiddleneck Gate to McAllister Road (see the upper left hand corner of the Black Butte map). (See Item #11 under UPON DEPARTURE.)
● IF THE CABIN IS NOT CLEAN UPON YOUR ARRIVAL, PLEASE LET US KNOW IMMEDIATELY. Also let us know of any other problems you find so that we may tend to them promptly.
Upon Arrival -- CHECKLIST
1. WATER – FIRST, BE CERTAIN THAT THE WATER IS TURNED ON! The shut-off valve is by the entry steps under the white cover. (Ordinarily it is left on during spring/summer/fall months). When the water is on, then for HOT WATER turn ON the circuit breaker for the hot water heater. The circuit breakers are located behind the wall hanging in the hall area next to the washing machine closet.
2. FURNACE – Turn thermostat to desired temperature (control is on the living room wall left of the sliding door). Even if the weather is warm, leave the thermostat ON; simply turn the temperature down to 50 degrees/
3. FIREPLACE – If you use the fireplace insert remember first to open the damper (push the control rod IN). To improve the draft leave the door open slightly until the fire gets burning strongly. Firewood is stacked on the ground beyond the deck and a splitting maul is in the bike storage shed (to be used ONLY on the bare ground, not on the paving, deck or hearth!).
4. BARBEQUE – If you use the propane BBQ, please move it at least two feet away from the privacy fence where it is stored as well as from any other combustible material. Before igniting please check for and remove any grease or flammable debris that previous guests failed to remove from the drip tray which slides out from the rear. Thank you for checking this – we had an unfortunate fire resulting from such an accumulation. To simplify clean-up when you leave cover the tray with aluminum foil.
Upon departure - CHECKLIST
Remember, we want you to have a great time at our cabin – but this depends somewhat upon the care each of our guests give the cabin and the effort they make to leave it in good condition. THANK YOU for taking these steps:
1. WASH AND DRY THE TOWELS THAT YOU USED. Without this help our housekeepers are unable to complete their work during the time for which they are being paid. If you need to leave before the dryer cycle is finished it’s okay to hang wet towels over the collapsible drying rack found in one of the bedroom closets.
2. REMOVE ALL USED SHEETS AND PILLOW CASES FROM THE BEDS and place in a pile next to the washer.
3. CLEAN UP ANY UNUSUAL MESSES, to be fair to our house cleaners. Put dirty dishes in dishwasher, run the garbage disposer until clear, clean-up trash and spilled food on stove, counter, walls, and carpet. This may all seem obvious to most folks, but is worth mentioning to those who might not think of this.
4. TURN OFF ALL LIGHTS AND APPLIANCES. Unplug coffee maker and toaster. Please double check that the stove top and oven are OFF.
5. TURN DOWN FURNACE THERMOSTAT TO 50 .O Do NOT turn “OFF” - this protects the pipes against temperature drops at night.
6. TURN OFF THE WATER HEATER at the circuit breaker.
7. OPEN FIREPLACE DAMPER FULLY AND CLOSE AND LATCH THE FIREPLACE DOOR. This allows any remaining fire to die out. If the ashes are cold, please put them in a paper bag and take them to the dump, since this is not a responsibility for our house keepers.
8. IF YOU USED THE BBQ GRILL, PLEASE MAKE SURE THAT THE PROPANE CYLINDER IS CLOSED AND CLEAN THE GREASE TRAY. The removable grease tray should be taken to the kitchen sink and cleaned. Cleaning the grill is not a responsibility for our house keepers. If you used the spare cylinder (in the storage shed) please take the empty cylinder to House Keeping on McAllister Road (next to the Black Butte Recycling Center) for refilling. Have the cost be charged to our AH8 account.
9. CLOSE ALL THE CURTAINS to protect furnishings from sunlight.
10. CLOSE AND LOCK ALL DOORS AND WINDOWS.
11. TAKE TRASH AND ASHES TO THE DUMPSTERS on your way out from Black Butte Ranch. Dumpsters and recycling bins are located at the Black Butte Recycling Center on McAllister Road, which is reached by going out the Fiddleneck Gate, turning right and going ½ mile. See the upper left hand side of the Black Butte map provided at the Welcome Center when you register. (McAllister Road continues out to Highway 20, giving you a ½ mile head start back towards the valley.) REMEMBER, WE DO NOT HAVE TRASH PICKUP, SO DO NOT LEAVE ANYTHING IN THE TRASH CONTAINERS IN THE HOUSE.
Thanks very much for staying in our cabin, and thanks for your help in keeping it pleasant for our guests who follow. We hope you have a great vacation!
EMERGENCY PHONE NUMBERS:
John and Gretchen (in Corvallis) 541-752-3214
Cell: 541-740-3559 or 541-740-6496
Black Butte maintenance - 541-595-1287